Girls' High School is committed to excellence and quality in the education of an all round girl child equipped to cope with change. The unique individual is geared to excel in academic, sporting and cultural activities at secondary level.
HISTORY OF GIRLS' HIGH SCHOOL
In 1898 the British South Africa Company (the government of Southern Rhodesia at the time) gave four acres of open land on what is now the North West corner of Leopold Takawira Street and Park Street to a small committee to build a public school. The school was called Salisbury Public School.
There were four founder pupils, two girls and two boys. The first teachers were Mrs. Garia and Mr. Kerr. A small building, which is now the library of Queen Elizabeth School, was created and in 1902 it was handed over to the government to be administered under the state. It was then called, "The High School."
As time went on, enrolment increased and the decision to provide two schools was made, that is one for girls and one for boys. The present Queen Elizabeth School was left for boys and the High school was left for girls assembled here at G.H.S on 16 February 1911 and the older part of the present Girls High building took shape. The school also obtained its first uniform.
The first head was Miss K.Forsythe. In 1915 the Beit Hall (now the gymnasium) was built. The Aelean club was started to promote drama, music and French language. Beit House, Forsythe and Beaven Hostels were also built during 1915 (Beaven House being later handed over to Queen Elizabeth School after the Second World War).
By 1923 the school had 400 pupils. In 1923 the Boys High School moved to their splendid new buildings and in that same year Prince Edward came to visit Boys High and allowed them to use his name and emblem (the Prince of Wales Feathers) and Prince Edward has continued from its earliest days to be our brother school.
The Old Girls Guild was formed in 1925, which comprised of old Girls High students. In 1926 Miss L. Bridges succeeded her. In 1940 Queen Elizabeth School opened as a secondary school and Miss S L T Blakeway, former pupil of Girls' High became headmistress. The school was opened in the buildings formerly occupied by the Girls High Juniors who were either sent to David Livingston or Selbourne Rutledge Primary Schools.
In 1945 the Royal Air Force, which had run pilots training at Cranborne presented a handsomely carved lectern to the school which shares the Royal Air Force motto, "Per Ardua Ad Astra" which means, "Through hard work we reach the stars." The school song echoes this motto-a song composed by Duice Bell now Mrs. Bon.
During the 50s and 60s, a great deal of building was carried out-two double-storey classroom blocks, new laboratories, a lovely swimming pool (completed in 1957) and Winston Field, opened it in 1964. Girls High School was then under the leadership of Mrs. Tozer. The hall was the third largest, "single-shelled hyperbolic paralaboid roof," in the world and is used for many governmental and non-governmental functions.
In 1964 Miss L.E Perold took over and ran the school for twenty years. In 1973 on the celebration of the schools 75th anniversary a banquet was held together with Prince Edward School at Meikles Hotel. In 1975 the school library or Beit Library had been furnished and extended.
In 1980 after the elections the school became completely non-racial.
In 1982 a wall was erected along Leopold Takawira Street, the event also marked the opening of the Stella Blakeway gates, who also had the honor of cutting the ribbon to mark the occasion.
In 1992 Ms. T.S Dumbutshena took over as headmistress.
In 1994, a new bus was purchased by the School Developmental Association, which also purchased a Risograph and a computer and a shade erected near the school tuck shop. In 1996, the SDA also purchased a Mazda B2200 for the school's use.
1998 marked the schools centenary year, to mark this momentous occasion a marvelous computer and classroom block was erected and the basketball courts were opened.
In 2004 a new school bus was purchased and the school truck was repainted. In 2005 the new headmistress, Miss Mufukare took over the school after Miss Dumbutshena's departure to Malawi.
Girls High School girls also excelled in sport and other cultural activities, Tracey Cox, Antoinette Wilken and Joanne Pitt all developed into world-class divers. In 1980 former Girls' High School girl Anne Fletcher captained the 1980 Zimbabwe Ladies Hockey Team which won gold at the Moscow Olympics there were also other ex GHS girls in the team. The GHS basketball team has proven to be the champions in high school basketball in Zimbabwe by being undefeated for an amazing nine years at the Zimbabwe Top Schools Competition.
Deirdre Saunders a former G.H.S teacher was the first woman to qualify as a combat pilot. In the entertainment sector, the G.H.S musical, "Camelot," produced by Mrs. Erasmus and Mrs. Barnett won its' section in the annual theater competition. The school choir also had the opportunity to travel to the Britain and Israel and they even were invited to sing during the independence celebration on 17th of April 1980. Girls High has produced many actresses such as Prudence Katomeni, Rukudzo Chirashe and Sharon Carowell.
With so many achievements Girls High School has truly shown that through hard work we shall surely reach the stars.