The school has produced some of Zimbabwe's top sportswomen such as
The school has also produced one of Zimbabwe's most famous actresses and musician,
- Prudence Katomeni known for her role in a popular Zimbabwean movie and her contribution to the arts, the school also produced a former Miss Rhodesia beauty queen (Now Miss Zimbabwe beauty pageant).
- Cyclone Dyonne upcoming supermodel, artist, entrepreneur & socialite.
Other outstanding students include
- Chipo Matimba a pilot and now a captain with Air Zimbabwe the only female of her generation to hold this an esteemed position.
In the arts is
- Doris Lessing attended GHS for one year. She was awarded the 2007 Nobel Prize in Literature.
- Tracy Zengeni who is one of the most leading innovative female artists in Zimbabwe.
- Thando Mclaren is a celebrated children's author who is getting an ever-increasing following for her collection of children's stories out of Africa.
- Marion Arnold was a pupil at GHS during the 1960s. She received her MA and PhD from the University of South Africa (Unisa) and was a senior lecturer at the University of South Africa, and University of Stellenbosch, South Africa. She is an art historian and artist who lectured in South Africa for many years and now teaches part-time at the Universities of Loughborough and East Anglia,and Birkbeck College. Recent publications include (2005) - From Union to Liberation: South African Women Artists 1910-1994 and (2001) - South African Botanical Art: Peeling Back the Petals. She is a practising artist represented in all major South African collections.